AUTUMN GARDEN PLANTS & ADVICE
This month at the MVGC booth MV Farmers Market, Nov. 18 the Master Gardeners will have the following seedlings to give away:
- Red Russian Kale, an heirloom variety, originally brought to the West by Russian traders. Enjoy the young leaves in salads or cooked like other leafy greens.
- Bloomsdale spinach, an old time favorite with crinkled leaves. Loves cool weather so now is the time to plant.
- Bok Choy, white stem have a mild, Swiss chard-like flavor, but slightly sweet, tender and delicious. Harvest young for “baby bok choy”.
- Lettuce, an oak leaf blend, both red and green. Loves cool weather
- Calendula, also known as pot marigold, an edible flower, easy to grow and also a long lasting cut flower. Grows well in containers.
- Cilantro, usually grown in the summer, we’re hoping it will do well in our mild winter climate and not bolt so quickly.
- Shungiku Edible Chrysanthemum, came to the U.S. from Japan. Tender edible greens and flowers have a unique zesty flavor. Flowers also make beautiful leis and garlands.
- Garlic Chives. Leaves, flower buds and flowers have a delightful mild garlic flavor. Easy to grow, nice in containers. Can be grown indoors!